Monday, April 5, 2010

eleventh ship- dias

This was my first ship in a foreign based company. The ship management company was Eurasia and the crew manning company was Paramount, both of them based in Hongkong with branches all over the world. I went to Bombay for medicals, getting the US visa and signing the contract. As my US visa got delayed, I was allotted a different ship. I came back to Madras, since that ship was scheduled to reach a couple of days late at a port near Jakarta. I signed the contract in Madras office and got the tickets for the flights.
I flew to Bombay from Madras. Next flight was from Bombay to Singapore. There was a waiting time of about 7 hours in Singapore. The airport authorities had displayed that there was a small sightseeing trip for passengers who had to wait for their connecting flight. I got my name enlisted there and went out on their bus to see Sentosa Island. It was a nice place to see. I didn’t have my camera with me and so missed out the opportunity of taking photographs. We came back after completing the tour and I had some more time left to spend before boarding the next flight. I did some window shopping and finally boarded the flight to Jakarta. This was a flight of very less duration. We reached Jakarta in about 40 minutes. After clearing the customs and immigration, we waited for the agent to arrive. There were about 15 of us, including the officers and crew. Finally the agent arrived and all of us left for the port, Cigading, in the bus. We took us 6 hours to reach the port. The traffic was so bad, even worse than Madras! Finally we reached the ship. The signing off crew was ready to disembark. There was no proper handing over, since the ship was being sold. The Filipino crew and officers refused to clear even the smallest doubt. They left after some time, leaving us to find out things for ourselves. The ship was discharging cargo in this port. It was the biggest ship, I had ever sailed in. It had 9 cargo holds and could carry up to 135,000 metric tonnes of cargo. I had the additional job of radio accounting, as there was no radio officer on board. I had to prepare and send routine messages as well, to the owners, managers, charterers and other parties.
Something more about this ship, which I never experienced in any of my ships before this. All ships usually have a fresh water generator, which produces enough water for our consumption. But in this ship, that was faulty and the engineers could not get it working due to non availability of spares. So fresh water was being rationed on board. It was stored in drums, in all decks and the crew used to take water for use from those drums. Further, the hot water pipelines were of some poor PVC material. When hot water was started, these pipe lines used to leak. Because of that, hot water was kept shut, to avoid wastage and to prevent any electrical short circuit. It was fine during summer months, but was very difficult during winter.
We left the port after completion of discharging and went to Singapore for bunkering and provisions. From there the ship sailed to Dampier, in Western Australia. The loading was so fast that they completed loading the entire cargo in 27 hours. We sailed out to Qingdao (China) for discharging the cargo. The discharging was not all that fast and it took about 4 days to complete it. We sailed out to Newcastle (Australia) from there. During the voyage, we had to clean all the nine cargo holds and get them ready to load coal. We berthed in Newcastle, but were idle there as we had some problems with the ship’s generator. We had called for a technician to attend to the problem. We were there in the lay berth for 8 days before we berthed in the other berth. Loading was pretty fast here as well. It completed in 36 hours. We shifted to the anchorage were awaiting the spares for the generator to reach us. As soon as the spares arrived, we sailed out.
Our next port was Lazaro Cardenas (Mexico). We completed discharging there and went to La Libertdad (Ecuador) for bunkering. Our load port was fixed as San Nicolas, in Peru. That was an open port, with no protection from the sea and wind. There were no navigational aids as well. During berthing, there were no tugs to assist us. It was a painful process of bringing the ship alongside the berth with the mooring ropes. At berth, it was even worse. The ship used to surge because of the wind and current. Lots of ropes parted during the loading. The entire loading was completed in 4 days and we were glad it was over. Our next port was Beilun, in China.
The sailing took us more than a month. We had to sail across Pacific Ocean. I had the opportunity to cross the International Date Line twice in this ship. When we go from east to west, we retard a day and when we sail from west to east, we advance a day. After discharging the cargo in the port, we headed to Shanhaiguan shipyard which is further north for dry docking. This shipyard was very near the Great Wall of China. Many went out to see that Wonder. I was unlucky, as my watch timings did not permit me to visit.
It was early winter when we went there. The temperature was sub zero already and we didn’t have hot water to bathe. Such was our plight in that ship. After a few days in the dry dock, it started snowing and the ship was covered with snow everywhere. I had to go inside the ballast tanks and cargo holds to check the works which were going on. It was so difficult to go down the ladders in that temperature to do the checking.
My contract was almost over by that time and I was hoping that I would be relieved soon. My reliever came after 20 days in the dry dock. I was happy that I got relieved. I travelled by car from the port to Beijing, which took about 5 hours. I was lucky enough to pass a tunnel through the Great Wall of China and managed to catch a glimpse of the manmade marvel. I had a flight to Bangkok from there. From Bangkok I flew to Bombay. After changing terminals, took a flight to Madras and reached home.

TOTAL TIME SPENT ON BOARD: 5 months and 24 days

PORT VISITED: FOREIGN- Cigading (Indonesia), Dampier(Australia), Lazaro Cardenas(Mexico), La Libertad (Equador), San Nicolas (Peru), Beilun and Shanhaiguan (China)
INDIA- None

No comments: