Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ninth ship- gem of vizag

This was my second contract in this ship. But the ship was on coastal run, going between Madras and Vizag. After signing my contract, I joined the ship in Madras. What a state the ship was in! It was covered with a thin film of coal everywhere. There were generators placed on the deck between no.4 and 5 holds and in gangway deck. Later I came to know that the ship’s generators had problems and so these generators were there to supply power for the cranes.

The ship used to load coal in Vizag and discharge it in Madras. The sailing was very less and the port stay was hectic. Since the cranes were being used in both the ports, there was little time for maintenance. We went to Paradip twice for loading and it was a welcome change for us.

I used to do the day watches in Vizag and go out in the evenings there. In Madras, I used to do the night watches. I used to come home after finishing my watches, spend the night at home and go back in the evening. Being in this run had its own advantages.  Going out was not a problem and so was the problem with food. I used to eat the ship’s food only when we were sailing or when we were at anchorage. Raji joined me in this ship and was with me for 3 months. Life was good on board, with frequent port stays. But it was also tiring in the ports, with frequent trips to the top of the cranes.

Once during loading in Vizag, the wire parted and the jib of the crane fell down on the cabin of another crane. The crane operator had a very close shave with death. He quickly escaped from the cabin, or else he would have been smashed into pieces. The jib was dismantled, taken to a workshop, the bend straightened and then fitted back. The cabin of other crane had to be made again.

Another time, the ship was in Madras, discharging cargo. I was at home and eating my lunch. Suddenly, I got a call from the chief officer, asking me to come to the ship immediately.Both of us rushed back to the ship. A cyclone has formed in Bay of Bengal and it was to cross coast near Madras. The port authorities had instructed all ships to vacate the berth and go to the anchorage or sail away. So we vacated the berth and went to the anchorage to drop anchor. The wind was very strong and so the anchor was not holding. The Captain thought it prudent to sail away into the deep seas, rather than drop anchor and wait for the cyclone to weather away. Trying to avoid the cyclone, we kept on sailing for a day till we were near the coast of Srilanka. Then we turned back and headed to Madras. The cyclone had cleared away by then and we berthed to discharge the remaining cargo.

Our next cargo was fixed as iron ore, which was to be loaded in Madras. So we went out to the anchorage once again to have the cargo hold cleaned. It took us two days to clean the cargo holds. Then, we berthed in the iron ore jetty and started loading cargo. My passport had expired by then and I had to sign off, since the ship was going to China for discharging and dry dock.I had my baggage packed and ready to disembark. But there was no sign of the reliever. The customs office would be closing by 1800 and I had to clear my baggage before that. The agent told me not to worry about the reliever and asked me to bring my baggage down, so that we could go for the customs clearance. I went along with him, got the clearance and then came outside the harbour, took a taxi and came back home.

TOTAL TIME SPENT ON BOARD: 5 months and 2 days

PORTS VISITED: IN INDIA- MADRAS, VIZAG, PARADIP

FOREIGN: NIL

No comments: